The article discusses how founding CEOs often underestimate the opportunity cost of not extricating themselves from their natural 'skill' position to focus on bigger picture strategy and thinking time. An issue close to my heart at the moment!
Thursday, August 30, 2012
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Saturday, August 25, 2012
Also speaking will be Hamish Hawthorn, CEO of ATP Innovations. Hamish will be speaking about how entrepreneurs can best prepare themselves for the all-important pitch to investors. Despite the flurry of great investments we are seeing into Australian start-ups, raising capital continues to be a challenge. Getting your pitch polished and crisp, knowing the expectations of your potential investor, and crafting a compelling value proposition are all key element of success.
Hamish will share his experiences from both sides of the table – from raising venture capital with the companies at ATP Innovations, through to his experiences as a co-founder of Sydney Angels.
Monday, August 20, 2012
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Ned is launching a program called the 'Founders Apprentice' to work closely with him for 6 months on a range of the day to day operations at Tweaky.com with a focus on customer and product development. The role sounds perfect for someone interested in learning more about working with startups from an awesome mentor in Ned.
Full details on the Tweaky.com blog here. It's also a great concept for helping encourage new entrepreneurs. We do a similar thing with our internship programs at Shoes of Prey and Sneaking Duck.
Tweaky.com and the role are based in Melbourne.
Monday, August 13, 2012
Originally from Thailand, Parn studied Digital Media at the College of Fine Arts, majoring in 3D. She then completed a Masters of Digital Media and her short animation won the 2010 Best CGI Modelling, Wacom Award. In addition to being an awesome 3D artist, Parn has an impressive skill set including video and sound editing, games design, photography and drawing. Parn also enjoys reading and used to learn Tae Kwon Do!
You can view her showreel here.
It's very exciting to have Parn join us, welcome to the team!
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
- Self motivated and hungry to learn in a dynamic, fun & friendly, occasionally chaotic, start-up
- Great at communicating by phone, email or Facebook. You’re someone who won’t rest until every customer is happy - no matter the issue. Whether it’s a technical query, styling dilemma or complaint every customers gets prompt, warm and knowledgeable service
- High attention to detail - every order, every number and every email gets double-checked
- A passion for going the extra mile. You’re the sort of person who innovates and solves problems without being asked
- Computer literate - email, documents, spreadsheets, CRM, social networking sites
- Ability and willingness to learn about optical dispensing
- Responding promptly to customer emails, calls, IMs and social media comments in a super-friendly and efficient manner. Going the extra mile on this aspect is a priority.
- Solving customer questions from start to finish - product enquiries, sales appointments, issue resolution, technical questions
- Processing customer orders and managing suppliers to get glasses shipped fast
- Quality control so every order is perfect
- Packaging and dispatching glasses to customers
- Contacting optometrists to obtain prescriptions on behalf of customers
- Stock management and sourcing
- Beyond this, there are virtually limitless opportunities to learn and become involved with other parts of the business
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Friday, August 3, 2012
Thursday, August 2, 2012
Many of our customers tell us they want to see and touch our shoes and materials, and try them on before purchasing. So we're going to open a retail store to allow them to do this. Your role is to provide an amazing retail experience that will inspire the happiness of our customers, you will be responsible for ensuring they're the happiest in the land. As our retail stores grow, the role has the potential to develop into one that includes building out and growing the stores nationally and internationally.
Some of the key day to day activities:
- Running our brand new, exciting and innovative physical retail store where we'll allow women to design their perfect shoe
- Preparing and analysing market research
- Developing and executing advertising and promotional material
- Formulation of marketing and selling strategies
- Helping develop and document our customer related systems and processes
- A great fit with our culture & values
- A love of and experience providing truly outstanding, amazing customer service.
- We're looking for someone who is passionate about pleasing customers and is seeking a career in this type of role.
- A passion for women's fashion and shoes
- Prefered experience in a Assistant Manager or Store Manager role, or a marketing role.
- A fun, people loving personality
- A love of constant change and the fast paced mayhem of working in a startup
- Attention to detail
Location: Our Surry Hills office + top secret Sydney location ;)
The role will report into Dave Knapp. To apply please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.