Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Monday, May 28, 2012
Jason's post 'Everyone sucks at interviewing. Everyone' is another really good one worth a read. I've been reading quite a bit on the topic that interviewing doesn't work, the best way to judge whether someone will be a good hire is to either have worked with them before, or have them work for you for a short period first.
Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Monday, May 21, 2012
After watching Michael speak and being presented with the awards for Sneaking Duck I approached Michael, told him that story and invited him to lunch with our team the following day. He shared some great insights with us, including an inspirational verse titled 'The Critic' which outlines how businesses and individuals should deal with criticism which I filmed.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Michael!
Saturday, May 19, 2012
The awards dinner itself was a fantastic night and we had the opportunity to catch up with and meet lots of colleagues not just in the online retail industry, but the retail industry more broadly. It was fun to share a table with the team from Grill'd who I've blogged about before for doing such a fantastic job with fast food retailing.
The full list of winners is below - congratulations to them all:
- Outstanding retailer of the year - Dan Murphy’s
- New retailer of the year - Sneaking Duck
- Multi-channel retailer of the year - The Body Shop Australia
- Sustainable retailing - Woolworths
- Innovation in retail - Sneaking Duck
- Successful retail marketing campaign of the year - Bankwest
- Best customer experience of the year - Aussie Farmers Direct
Article and photo in the current BRW issue here.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Monday, May 14, 2012
Congratulations to Mark Rowland, Bjorn Behrendt and the team at StyleTread on raising $12m in a series C round announced 6 weeks ago.
From all accounts StyleTread have been experiencing some impressive growth. They've got a fairly capital intensive business as they need to be investing in stock ahead of their growth. It's great to see that investment firms like Starfish Ventures, as well as StyleTread's existing investors are willing to back them based on their performance so far.
Saturday, May 12, 2012
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
TV, newspapers and magazines are struggling to keep their readers' attention as new media sources like blogs and social media capture more of peoples' attention and time. Have a look at 3 of the 5 roles we're hiring for:
These are not roles you would traditionally have in a retail business, they're media roles.
We're hiring for these roles because we, and many other retailers are becoming more like media businesses. We have two blogs, a shoe/fashion blog and a business blog. These take people's time away from fashion magazines and business press. We're very active on our Shoes of Prey Facebook page and there's 82,000 people there who now get some of their fashion news through us rather than traditional sources. We're planning to invest more in our YouTube channel and video content on our website, that's less time people will spend watching fashion content on TV.
Retail and media businesses are converging. I'm not sure what this means for the media industry, but it couldn't be better for retailers, we're finding new and exciting ways to engage with our customers.
Monday, May 7, 2012
Friday, May 4, 2012
Salary: $40k - $50k (based on experience) + bonus + generous stock options + lunch everyday + snacks + shoes. If we hit our goals over the next 5 years you'll do very well out of the stock options.
Location: Our Surry Hills office.
To passionately create happiness is our first and core company value, is something we prioritise immensely and has been core to our success to date. We love going out of our way to make our customer extremely happy. Your sole focus will be the happiness of our customers, you will be responsible for ensuring they're the happiest in the land.
As our customer happiness team continues to grow, the role has the potential to develop into one that includes building out and managing this team.
Some of the key day to day activities:
- Engaging with our customers over email in the most friendly, fun and supportive ways possible.
- Doing the same with our customers on website chat and on the phone.
- Assisting customers who visit our office to try on, see and touch our shoes.
- Reviewing customer orders and sending these to the workshop.
- Working with our team in China to track and manage our orders.
- Helping develop and document our customer related systems and processes.
- A love of and experience providing truly outstanding, amazing customer service. We're looking for someone who is passionate about pleasing customers and is seeking a career in this type of role.
- A passion for women's fashion and shoes
- A fun, people loving personality
- A great fit with our culture & values
- A love of constant change and the fast paced mayhem of working in a startup
- Perfect grammar, spelling and email communication skills
- Attention to detail
The role will report into Michael Fox. To apply please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please help us spread the word. We'd love for you to tweet or post this link to Facebook (buttons below) and if you know of someone who the role would suit we'd love you to pass this post on to them. Thanks!
Update (3 June 2012): We've now hired for this role. Keep an eye on the blog as we'll likely be hiring for this role again soon as we continue growing.
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Congratulations to our software engineering and product design teams!